Thursday, April 23, 2009

Phase 1 Debriefing

This post is long overdue. Its time to cover the process of creating phase 1. I feel this post is important because I was one of the few people who did not have their projects shown and critiqued in class.

OVERVIEW:
I am very pleased with the result as it was the first time i had created a website from scratch with no help from any WYSIWYG ("What You See Is What You Get.") software. Finding quotes went smoother than expected. The qoutes I found conveyed simple yet powerful ideas regarding art and technology. I was very glad that finding quotes didnt take too long. This was because I really wanted to focus on the dynamic interface and and quote layout. I figured that EVERYBODIES gotta have meaningful quotes right?. So its all about the artistic vision and quote layout that would keep people interested enough to dwell deep.

BREAKDOWN:
Using frame manipulation I was able to separate the two important part of my site. These two parts are ofcourse my quotes; and the scrolling marques of 1s and 0s that i have labeled: "The Code". My site is meant to visually illustrate concepts covering in class such as interface and representation. The color-coded 1s and 0s represent the data shown once the link has been clicked. Normally when someone visits a site, all they see are text, images and video. However, Interfaces are heavily reliant on the "back end" the 1s and 0s (bits) that represent all that data. That is in essence what I wanted to convey with the stylistic approuch I took when creating my project.

ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT:
One of the few things id add given the time is a frame that includes Imbedded youtube videos. These videos would ofcourse serve the purpose of further illustrate the concepts behind the quotes. This feature was implemented by many of my peers in their own phase 1. Linking to other sites was not a mandatory part of the assignment. However, It was foolish to disregard the benefits of complementary content.



If you have not done so, please check out my Phase 1.
Do you see the what I was going for?


No comments: